Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kelly (Rookwood)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Kelly (Rookwood) This family is well recorded in Vera Hughes' book. Crofton Kelly and his wife Elizabeth Threwles were the parents of Edmund Kelly born 1765. Edmund became a successful lawyer and lived at Rookwood, a property previously leased by his uncle John Thewles. In the late 1820s Edmund retired and married Sarah. In 1828 he is recorded as a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. Edmund Kelly was a very wealthy man and in his will of 1837 mentioned his estates in counties Roscommon, Galway, Westmeath and in Sussex, England. In 1840 he bought a property at Ballinderry, Moate, county Westmeath from Lord Clonbrock and died 5 years later. Many legal battles followed his death as various Kelly family members laid claim to his estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Kellys owned land in the parishes of Killinvoy, Kiltoom, Rahara, St Johns and Tisrara, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon and in the parish of Athleague, county Galway. Sarah Kelly was shot at Ballinderry in 1856. She left her Kiltoom property to her Strevans nephews and her Rookwood estate to her nephew Robert Bayley. In the 1870s Robert Preston Bayley of Rookwood, owned 294 acres in county Galway, 2,590 acres in county Roscommon and 284 acres in county Westmeath; Thomas H. Strevens owned 1,258 acres and George Strevans owned 518 acres in county Roscommon.
Thewles In the 18th century Wentworth Thewles of Harristown, Co Kildare, owned lands in counties Mayo, Leitrim and Roscommon. The banking family of La Touche were in possession of much of his estate by the end of the century. In the mid 19th century the representatives of James Thewles held an estate in the parish of Athleague, barony of Killian, county Galway and John E. Thewles held land in the parishes of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, Cloonfinlough and Killukin, barony of Roscommon, county Roscommon. The estate of John Edmond Thewles in the baronies of Ballintober South and Roscommon was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in November 1858. In the 1870s Audley C. Thewles of Rugby, England, owned 838 acres in county Roscommon. In the 1870s the representatives of James Thewles held over 2000 acres in county Galway.
Strevans In the 1850s Thomas H. Strevans held a number of townlands from his aunt Sarah Kelly in the parish of Kiltoom, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. Following the death of Sarah Kelly he inherited her Kiltoom property. Thomas Hodgeman Strevans of Kiltoom House owned 1,258 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s and George Strevans of Kent owned 518 acres in county Roscommon.
Bayley (Rookwood) Sarah Kelly left her Rookwood estate, which straddled the border of counties Galway and Roscommon, to her nephew Robert Preston Bayley. The representatives of Robert P. Bayley of Rookwood, Athleague, owned over 2000 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s as well as several hundred acres in counties Galway and Westmeath.