Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dering


Estate(s)

Name Description
Shee Charles ffrench Blake Forster traces this family's lineage from O'Shee of county Tipperary, who later moved to county Kilkenny. George Shee, son of George Shee, married Mary Kirwan of Blindwell, county Galway and died in 1706. They were the parents of Anthony Shee of Castlebar, county Mayo, who married Margery Bourke of the Curry and Oory family. They were the parents of George Shee, created a baronet in 1794. George Shee had a successful career in India and purchased the Dunmore estate of Ralph Gore, Earl of Ross, in 1791. He was succeeded by his eldest son George in 1825. Sir George Shee 2nd baronet was a British diplomat who served in the Foreign Office and as an Envoy Extraordinary in Stuggart in 1830s and 1840s. In the mid 19th century Sir George Shee owned a large estate centred on the parish of Dunmore in the barony of Dunmore but also including much of the parishes of Clonbern and Boyounagh in the barony of Ballymoe and some of the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin. The Shees also had an English residence at Mudeford House, near Christchurch, Dorset. William Downes Griffiths was agent to the Shee estate for many years. The Shee barontecy became extinct in 1870 following the death of Sir George Shee 2nd baronet and the Dunmore estate passed to his nephew George Edward Dering of Lockleys, Hertfordshire. George E. Dering owned 11,206 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. http://www.osheaclan.org/Hayes.pdf
Dering George Edward Dering of Lockleys, Hertfordshire, inherited the Dunmore, county Galway estate of his uncle Sir George Shee, 2nd baronet, following the death of Sir George in 1870. George E. Dering owned 11,206 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. An estate of 11,469 acres belonging to the firm of solicitors, Neal, Longmore and Dering was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 March 1915.
Deeds The Reverend Julius Deeds, and Miss Neville, Marden Vicarage, Steeplehurst, Kent owned 1,595 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. The Reverend Julius Deedes was the second son of William Deedes of Sandling, Hythe, Kent. In 1829 the Reverend Deedes married Henrietta Charlotte daughter of Edward Dering and his wife Henrietta daughter and co heir of Richard Nevill of Furness, county Kildare and his interest in the county Cork property evidently came through his marriage connection with the Nevilles.