Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Shee (Dunmore)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Griffith (Dunmore) William Downes Griffith, a barrister and agent to Sir George Shee at Dunmore, held four townlands in the parish of Kilcummin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s he is recorded as owning 917 acres in the county.
Shee Charles ffrench Blake Forster traces this family's lineage from O'Shee of county Tipperary, who later moved to county Kilkenny. George Shee, son of George Shee, married Mary Kirwan of Blindwell, county Galway and died in 1706. They were the parents of Anthony Shee of Castlebar, county Mayo, who married Margery Bourke of the Curry and Oory family. They were the parents of George Shee, created a baronet in 1794. George Shee had a successful career in India and purchased the Dunmore estate of Ralph Gore, Earl of Ross, in 1791. He was succeeded by his eldest son George in 1825. Sir George Shee 2nd baronet was a British diplomat who served in the Foreign Office and as an Envoy Extraordinary in Stuggart in 1830s and 1840s. In the mid 19th century Sir George Shee owned a large estate centred on the parish of Dunmore in the barony of Dunmore but also including much of the parishes of Clonbern and Boyounagh in the barony of Ballymoe and some of the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin. The Shees also had an English residence at Mudeford House, near Christchurch, Dorset. William Downes Griffiths was agent to the Shee estate for many years. The Shee barontecy became extinct in 1870 following the death of Sir George Shee 2nd baronet and the Dunmore estate passed to his nephew George Edward Dering of Lockleys, Hertfordshire. George E. Dering owned 11,206 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. http://www.osheaclan.org/Hayes.pdf
Gore (Baronet) In the mid 1850s Sir St George Gore, 8th Baronet, held at least 15 townlands in the parishes of Boyounagh, Dunmore and Templetogher, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. This branch of the Gore family had inherited the estates of Sir Richard St George of Dunmore, county Galway through a marriage in the early 18th century with a niece of Sir Richard's, namely Elizabeth Ashe, daughter of the Reverend St George Ashe, Bishop of Clogher. Sir George St George, father of Richard, had been granted over 8,000 acres in the baronies of Dunmore, Ballymoe and Tiaquin by patent dated 18 Dec 1666. In the late 18th century Sir Ralph Gore, 6th baronet and Earl of Ross from 1771, sold the Dunmore part of his county Galway estates to Sir George Shee. In 1872 estates in counties Limerick (1,657 acres), Galway (4,139 acres), King's County [county Offaly], Cavan, Dublin and Meath, belonging to Sir St George Gore, totaling over 9,000 acres, were advertised for sale. The county Galway estate was the largest amounting to 4,139 acres in the barony of Ballymoe. By March 1916 the Gores had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for over 2,500 acres of their county Galway estate. The Gores county Limerick estate was in the parish of Kildimo, barony of Kenry. St George Gore acted as agent to his father Sir Ralph Gore, London, in the early 1840s. The Westropps of Mellon leased the Gore estate in county Limerick.
Dering George Edward Dering of Lockleys, Hertfordshire, inherited the Dunmore, county Galway estate of his uncle Sir George Shee, 2nd baronet, following the death of Sir George in 1870. George E. Dering owned 11,206 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. An estate of 11,469 acres belonging to the firm of solicitors, Neal, Longmore and Dering was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 March 1915.
Livesay/Levisay (Clonbern) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Marcella Livesay or Levisay held over a thousand acres in the parish of Clonbern, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway from Sir George Shee. Marcella Livesay was a sister of Edward Livesay of Cuslough, near Ballinrobe.
St George (Dunmore) Sir George St George, second son of Sir George St George of Carrickdrumrusk, county Leitrim, was granted over 8,000 acres in the baronies of Dunmore, Ballymoe and Tiaquin by patent dated 18 Dec 1666. He maried Elizabeth Hannay and had 2 sons and a number of daughters. When his son Sir Richard St George died without heirs in 1726 the estate passed to the Gore family by the marriage of Sir George's granddaughter Elizabeth to Sir Ralph Gore of Manor Gore, county Donegal [1720s]. Their second son Sir Ralph Gore became Earl of Ross in 1771 and sold part of the estate to Sir George Shee at the end of the 18th century.
Bourke (Oory) A branch of the Bourkes of Moneycrower or Bunacrower, later Earls of Mayo, settled at Oory [also spelt Urey/Urrey], parish of Tagheen, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo in the 17th century. They intermarried with other Bourke families and with the Fitzgeralds of Turlough, Kellys of Kelly's Grove and Fiddane and with the Shees of Castlebar. Burke's ''Landed Gentry'' records four generations of Bourkes residing at Oory until the estate was sold in the mid 18th century. Later generations of the family settled in Jamaica and England. One descendant, Eliza Jane Dennis of Jamaica, married James Hewitt Massy Dawson in 1800. By the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Brownes of Brownhall were in possession of Oory and the Nettervilles held Coarsefield, which was probably part of Oory under the Bourkes. One branch of the family lived at Curry in the parish of Mayo in the late 18th century and intermarried with the Brownes of the Neale. Two daughters and co-heiresses married Patrick Kirwan of Claremount and Charles McManus of Barley Hill and appear to have shared the townland of Curry - Curry (McManus) and Curry (Kirwan).