Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Egan


Estate(s)

Name Description
Egan (Cos Dublin, Galway & Tipperary) At the time of Griffith's Valuation, James Egan is recorded as a principal lessor of property in the parish of Clonrush, barony of Leitrim, county Galway. In July 1876 the estates of Charles Egan, deceased, counties Kilkenny, Tipperary, Galway, Kildare, Laois and Dublin, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The total acreage was 3,546 acres, including 1,000 acres at Drummaan East and West, county Galway, 906 acres at Shronell and Ballynahow, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary, all held in fee. Francis Sampson was the tenant of the property in the barony of Leitrim, county Galway. The Dublin Diocesan Archives hold some records relating to Charles Egan including his will, of which Cardinal Cullen was a trustee. Charles Egan was a merchant of 14 High Street, Dublin. He died on 3 February 1870. His will was dated 7 September 1868 and his estate was valued at £160,000 when his will was proved in December 1870. He left various legacies to family members, friends and employees but charities and the Church were the main beneficiaries.
Seward (Cos Galway & Cork) "The General Armory" records the granting of arms to Henry Osburne Seward of Lee Cottage and Douglas, county Cork and Newcastle, county Limerick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Osborne Seward held land in the parishes of Inchigeelagh, barony of West Muskerry and Carrigrohanebeg, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. Members of the Seavers/Seward family including H.O. Seward also held land in the barony of Fermoy parishes of Rahan, Mallow and Mourneabbey and in the barony of Cork, parishes of Carrigaline and St Finbarrs. At the same time Joshua Seward was leasing almost 200 acres from James Egan at Drummaan East, barony of Leitrim, county Galway. "The Freeman's Journal" (29 Sept 1863) records the marriage of Mary daughter of Joshua W. Seward of Dromaun House, Co Galway and Henry Bentley of Shannon View, county Clare in September 1863. In the 1870s Joshua W. Seward of Rathgar, county Dublin, owned 838 acres in county Cork and 117 acres in county Limerick.