Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Skerrett

Description

Skerretts were established in the barony of Clare from the 17th century. Three sons of Dominick Skerrett, Mayor of Galway in 1642 founded the Skerrett families of Carnacrow, Dangan and Ballinduff. Family members later settled at Drumgriffin and Ardskeabeg. Mark Skerrett, a family member, was Archbishop of Tuam (1740-1784).


Estate(s)

Name Description
Deane Thomas Deane, a merchant, was granted over 1,500 acres mainly in the baronies of Clare and Dunmore, county Galway, including Castlemoyle and Toghermore, but also in the barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, by patent dated 2 June 1677. Stephen Deane was granted lands in the baronies of Loughrea, Moycullen and Athenry, county Galway and in the barony of Carra, county Mayo in May 1677. The Deanes held land in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway, in the late 18th century and also in the town of Galway. By the end of the 18th century Ambrose Deane was bankrupt and in 1790 sold Toghermore to John Henry of Dublin and Castlemoyle was sold to Valentine O'Connor in 1796. Ambrose Deane died intestate in 1792 and one of his sisters succeeded to the Deane estate of Balrobuck, parish of Annaghdown. She was married to Dominick Skerrett of Ballinduff. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward H. Deane held land in the parish of Cummer, barony of Clare. In the 19th century Edward Deane was agent to Christopher McManus of Barleyhill and leased land in the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. The Deanes appear to have lent money to the McManuses and in the early 1850s Edward Deane went to America to escape his creditors. He was married to Esmy O'Flaherty of Lisdonagh, near Headford, county Galway. A brother and sister of Edward Deane's married members of the McDermott family of Coolavin, county Sligo.
Skerrett (Ballinduff) The Skerretts owned an estate in the barony of Clare, county Galway, which was confiscated at the time of the Cromwellian settlement. However various members of the Skerrett family were granted lands in the barony by patent dated 16 Mar 1678 and Hughes writes that they were able to buy back some of their former property around Ballinduff in the 1680s. Hely Dutton lists four branches of the family situated at Nutgrove, Drumgriffin, Ballinduff and Carnacrow. William Skerrett of Carrownacroagh, parish of Killursa, is documented in the Ordnance Survey Name Books. His agent was John Joyce of Headford. Over 550 acres of his estate was sold in 1843. It was bought by John Nolan, F. Blake and possibly George Staunton Lynch. By the mid 19th century the Skerrett estate was mainly in the parish of Kilcoona but also contained lands in the parishes of Killeany, Killererin and Kilmoylan. Some of their estate had formerly belonged to the Deane family of Balrobuck, parish of Annaghdown, with whom the Skerretts intermarried. The Galway County Library contains particulars of a house in Cross Street, Galway and lands in the barony of Clare, including Balrobuck, which were advertised for sale in 1841 in connection with a legal case between Dominick Lynch and Dominick Skerrett. Brooklodge was Skerrett property by the time of Griffith's Valuation but was held by the Blakes of Ballyglunin on a lease dated 1775, Ambrose Deane to Christopher French. The Skerretts were still resident at Ballinduff in 1814 but later moved to Dublin following a marriage with one of the co heirs of John Locke of Athgoe Park, Dublin. In the 1870s the Skerretts owned 3,733 acres in county Galway and 969 acres in county Dublin. Joseph Skerrett Blake was a magistrate for counties Galway and Mayo in the 1880s. He was the son of Mary Skerrett of Athgoe Park, Dublin and Joseph Blake of Tumneenaun, Clonbur, county Galway.
Nesbitt In the late 18th century the Nesbitt family resided at Tubberdaly, Edenderry, county Offaly. They also had land in the parishes of Kilglass and Termonbarry, barony of Ballintober North, county Roscommon and in the parish of Donaghpatrick, county Galway. In the 1830s John Cornwall of Dublin was the agent for the county Galway estate. William George Downing Nesbitt of Tubberdaly held land in the parishes of Kilbreedy Minor and Tankardstown, barony of Coshma, county Limerick at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His sister, Miss Catherine Nesbitt and his brother-in-law,Count Susi [de Lusi] owned 1,529 acres in county Galway, 3,641 acres in county Roscommon, 620 acres in county Limerick and other estates in counties Londonderry, Offaly, Antrim and Kildare in the 1870s. Hughes writes that a Mr Finnegan of Raheen was agent to the Nesbitts in county Galway and that their lands in the parish of Donaghpatrick had passed to the Armstrongs by the beginning of the 20th century.