The Athy family were one of the original Tribes of Galway. Their estate was mainly centred around the parish of Oranmore through marriage into the Lynch family of Rinville. Phillip Lynch Athy is recorded as a resident proprietor in 1824. In 1855 Randal Athy was the owner of Rinville House, parish of Oranmore, barony of Dunkellin and was leasing another house at Cottage, parish of Ballynacourty to the Ryan family. Large portions of the estate were advertised for sale in the Encumbered estates court in 1857. In the 1870s the Athy family held over 1400 acres in county Galway. In 1906 Edmond J. Athy was the owner of over 650 acres of untenanted demesne land at Rinville West as well as the mansion there.