Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kelly-Egan


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cruise/Cruice It is evident from documents in the Westport Papers that the Cruise family, originally from Cruisetown, county Louth, acquired land at Castlegar, in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Killian, county Galway, in the mid 17th century. In the 19th century the Cruises were occupying Cruice Lawn on the estate of James Galbraith in the parish of Killosolan, barony of Tiaquin, which Galbraith held from the Blakeneys and nearby Greenville, which the Cruises held from the Bellews. In the 1850s Daniel Cruise held a townland in the parish of Drum, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. The Cruise family were petitioners in the sale of Kelly-Egan property at Grange in the barony of Clonmacnowen, county Galway, in November 1858. Daniel W. Cruice of Fairfield, Ahascragh owned 360 acres in county Galway in the 1870s and Daniel J. Cruise of Killarney owned 1,386 acres in county Roscommon. In 1875 Ardkeenan held in fee and lands in the parishes of Taghmaconnell leased from Sir Thomas Burke of Marble Hill were advertised for sale by members of the Cruice family. In 1878 the house and lands at Bredagh, as well as other properties in the baronies of Kilconnell and Tiaquin, county Galway, were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court. Daniel William Cruice is described as bankrupt in the sale notice.
Kelly-Egan An estate owned by Francis Kelly-Egan at Annaghkallagh, in the parish of Clonfert, barony of Longford, county Galway, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in October 1852 and again in January 1853. Lands at Lissavahane, in the barony of Clonmacnowen, were offered for sale in February 1854. In 1814 this property had been the address of Mr. William Egan. Another estate belonging to Francis Kelly-Egan, at Grange, also in the barony of Clonmacnowen, was offered for sale in November 1858. On this occasion members of the Cruise family were the petitioners. In 1860 lands at Lissavahaun, barony of Clonmacnown, the property of Francis Kelly-Egan were sold in the Landed Estates Court to Mr. Loughlin and Thomas W. Reeves.