Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Daly (Eyrecourt & Bellgrove)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Pollok (Lismany) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Allan Pollok was the owner of considerable property in various parts of east county Galway. He was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Donanaghta and Kilquain, barony of Longford as well as in Ahascragh, barony of Clonmacnowen. Pollok was originally from Scotland and had purchased extensive estates in county Galway in the Encumbered Estates Court in the early 1850s, including the two Burke estates of Glinsk and Creggs in the parishes of Ballynakill and Kilbegnet, barony of Ballymoe. A large portion of the Burke estate was sold to Allen Dowell in 1813 for £30,000. Edmund Dowell sold his estate of 4,401 acres in 1851. It was purchased by Pollok who also bought portions of the West, St.George, Bisset, Eyre and Daly estates in the barony of Longford. Pollok's main residence was at Lismany, near Ballinasloe. In the 1870s he is recorded as holding over 29,000 acres in county Galway as well as a small amount of property in county Dublin. In 1881 he was succeeded by his son John, who married a daughter of John C. R. Bingham, 4th Lord Clanmorris. John's representatives owned over 1000 acres of untenanted demesne land at Lismanny in 1906. They held over 500 acres of untenanted land in the Eyrecourt area as well as the houses at Ballynamuddagh and Cloghbrack.
Daly (Eyrecourt & Bellgrove) Woodview House and 89 acres, the property of Richard Gore Daly, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in June 1857. The schedule indicates that this property was formerly part of the Eyrecourt Castle estate, "lately sold in this court". Lane indicates that this property was purchased by Allen Pollok. Richard Gore Daly of Woodview was the son of Hyacinth Richard Daly of Mount Pleasant, county Galway, a branch of the Raford family. In the 1860s Hyacinth Richard Daly owned 130 acres in fee simple at Bellgrove, parish of Finnoe, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary. This estate was offered for sale in June and November 1863. It included Bellgrove House which was in an unfinished state.
Leonard (County Cork) In the 1870s, Rev. Samuel Leonard, of Banteer, county Cork, was the owner of over 1200 acres in county Kerry as well as 116 acres in county Tipperary (Bellgrove). Over 800 acres of these lands, situated at Drinagh, Ballyheige, county Kerry and in the barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary, had been offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in 1852, being then the property of Denis Leonard, an insolvent. The Freeman's Journal indicates that the freehold of the Drinagh property was purchased by Reverend Chute. He also purchased some of the Tipperary property while the remainder was bought in trust by Mr. Eyre. by Griffith's Valuation records Denis Leonard holding two townlands in the parish of Finnoe, barony of Lower Ormond. Bellgrove appears to have been bought by Hyacinth Richard Daly from county Galway. In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Name Books had recorded the letting of this townland by Major Crosbie to Godfrey Leonard, for whom Denis Leonard acted as agent. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 850 acres of the Leonard & Swanzy estate in 1912. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on 47 acres of Maurice Leonard's estate after 1909.