Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Trotter (Kilquain)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Trotter (Kilquain) Clifford Trotter acquired parts of the Quansbury and Bermingham estate by his marriage to Mary, daughter of William St Lawrence, 2nd Earl of Howth and his first wife Mary. The latter was a daughter of Thomas Bermingham, 1st Earl of Louth, and his wife Mary Daly of Quansbury. An estate of over 700 acres, owned by Clifford Trotter, known as Quansbury, in the barony of Longford, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in March 1851. Birmingham Demesne, barony of Dunmore, county Galway and lands in the barony of Garrycastle in King's County were also included in the sale. Birmingham Demesne was bought by John Irwin Dennis, who had been leasing it from Charles Trotter since 1838. Clifford Trotter is recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilquain, barony of Longford, county Galway, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, 1856. In the 1870s William C. Bermingham Ruthven, grandson of Clifford Trotter, owned 939 acres in county Galway. He offered some of this property for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1889. However, the Irish Times reported in November 1890 that the sale was adjourned due to absence of bidding.
Burke (Keeloges) The Burkes of Keeloges were a junior branch of the Burkes of Glinsk, county Galway. William Burke of Keeloges married Margaret Coleman and had two sons. Their eldest son Richard of Keeloges had a son, William Burke of Knocknagur, part of Kilcreevanty, parish of Kilbennan, who held land in the parish of Claregalway, barony of Clare, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Thomas H. Burke, Under-secretary of State, murdered in the Phoenix Park in 1882, was a member of this family. Major William Burke, the second son of William and Margaret Burke, acquired part of the Bermingham and Quansbury estates by his marriage to Matilda, daughter of William St Lawrence, 2nd Earl of Howth and his first wife Mary, daughter of Thomas Bermingham, 1st Earl of Louth and his wife Mary Daly of Quansbury. The Quansbury and Bermingham estates of William Burke, in the baronies of Longford and Dunmore, county Galway, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in November 1850. This property included Quansbury Lodge, in the townland of Stowlin, barony of Longford. The Bermingham estate of William Burke was in the possession of Edward Blake, Matthew Carney and Patrick McCormack at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Kirwans of Tuam were land agents for Sir Thomas Burke's estate at Kilcreevanty, Knocknagur, Knockdoe and Lehid in the first decade of the 20th century.
Bermingham/Birmingham Edward Bermingham, Lord Athenry, was granted over 5,000 acres, mainly in the barony of Dunmore, county Galway, by patent dated 16 Sept 1680 while Remigius Bermingham was granted overe 5,200 acres in county Mayo in 1681. There are records relating to the Bermingham family in the late 17th and early 18th century in the Westport Estate Papers. The descendants of Lord Athenry sold the Kilcloony estate to the Bodkins in 1759 and the Barbersfort estate to the Ruttledges in 1816. Thomas Bermingham, 22nd Lord Athenry and a Member of Parliament for county Galway, was created earl of Louth in April 1759. By his second marriage to Margaret Daly of Quansbury he left as his co heiresses three daughters, who married Thomas B.H. Sewell, William St Lawrence, 2nd Earl of Howth and Joseph Henry Blake of Ardfry. By the 1880s the family's main estates were in county Louth where they owned over 3,500 acres.
Dennis (Bermingham House) In the 1830s John Irwin Dennis leased Bermingham House and estate from the Trotter family and bought the property in 1851 in the Encumbered Estates' Court. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the estate of John Irwin Dennis was situated in the parishes of Dunmore and Tuam, barony of Dunmore, county Galway. John Irwin Dennis left his Bermingham estate to his nephew John Dennis, a remarkable horseman and huntsman. Although located in the townland of Birmingham Demesne, the house and estate appear to be generally referred to as 'Bermingham'.
Daly (Quainsborough/Quansbury) Peter Daly of Quansbury was the fourth son of Denis Daly of Carrownakelly, county Galway, a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas at the end of the 17th century. He purchased the Quansbury estate in 1722 from the Earl of Clanricarde. He extended his estate a few years later when he bought some of the estate of the Burkes of Glinsk in north county Galway. Peter Daly married Elizabeth Blake of Ardfry and they had 3 daughters. Margaret, the youngest, married as his second wife Thomas Bermingham 1st Earl of Louth. By this marriage Quansbury Lodge and much of the Quansbury estate passed into the possession of the descendants of the Earl of Louth's daughters.
Otway By a patent dated 10 October 1685, John Otway was granted Castle Otway, county Tipperary. His descendant, Cooke Otway, married Elizabeth Waller in 1766 and they had seven sons. Henry succeeded his father, Robert, and was created a baronet in 1831. Reverend Samuel was the father of the Robert who eventually inherited Castle Otway. In 1790 Henry Otway married Sarah, daughter of Sir Thomas Cave, 5th Baronet. She became Baroness Braye in her own right and assumed the additional surname of Cave in 1818. Henry and Sarah had eight children, of whom only a daughter, Henrietta, had children. Henry Otway died in 1815 and was succeeded by his son Robert. Robert Otway Cave was Member of Parliament for county Tipperary 1832-1844. He is recorded in the Ordnance Survey Name Books as the proprietor of several townlands in the parishes of Kilmore and Templederry, barony of Upper Ormond. Robert Otway Cave died in 1844 and, following the death of his wife in 1849, Castle Otway became the property of his first cousin, Robert Jocelyn Otway. Vice Admiral Robert J. Otway died in 1884 leaving an only daughter, Frances Margaret, who married William Clifford Bermingham Ruthven, grandson of Clifford Trotter, in 1865. In the mid 19th century Captain Robert J. Otway owned an estate in the parish of Glenkeen, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper, Caesar Otway held land in the parish of Youghalarra, barony of Owney and Arra and Mrs Otway Cave owned an estate in the parishes of Aghnameadle, Kilmore, Kilnaneave, Latteragh and Templederry, amounting to at least 25 townlands in the barony of Upper Ormond. In December 1853 the Otway estates of Lissenhall and Castle Otway amounting to 8,373 acres in the baronies of Upper Ormond and Kilnemanagh were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. Part of the estate including Lissenhall was bought by William Hutchinson Carroll (see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm). Other purchasers were James Poe, Edward Reeves and Mr Dunkett in trust. By the mid 1870s Rear Admiral Robert Jocelyn Otway owned 4,362 acres in county Tipperary, while James L. Otway of 23 Pembroke Road, Dublin, owned over a thousand acres in county Tipperary. James L. Otway was descended from James Otway (died 1733), sixth son of John Otway and his wife, Phoebe Loftus. This branch of the Otway family lived at Rapla, Prior Park and Ballinwear.