Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Browne (Moyne)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Browne (Moyne) The Brownes of Moyne were descended from the Brownes of Cloonkeely, near Tuam and of Newtown in the parish of Abbeyknockmoy, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. Nicholas Browne was granted over 3,000 acres in 1677 under the Acts of Settlement in counties Galway, Roscommon and Sligo. Most of the land was in county Galway and included Moyne, Newtown and Crumlin, all in the barony of Tiaquin. In the early 19th century Cloonkeely or Cloonkeelwy in the townland of Ballyboy, parish of Kilbennan, barony of Dunmore, belonged to John Browne Lynch, a member of the Lynch of Lowberry family, who had married a Browne of Cloonkeely. In 1802 Mark Browne of the Newtown branch of the family sold his property to John Kelly of Green Castle, Jamaica, as he had no heir. Previously he had acquired the Rockfield or Rockville estate from the Burkes but it was soon taken over by the Court of Chancery. Michael Joseph Browne, owner of Moyne in the early 19th century held a large estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation centred on the parish of Killererin in the barony of Tiaquin. His estate also included land in the parishes of Annaghdown and Killower, barony of Clare; Abbeyknockmoy and Monivea, barony of Tiaquin; Killeeneen in the barony of Dunkellin, Addergoole and Kilconla, barony of Dunmore and Dunmore, barony of Ballymoe. When his estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1855 it amounted to 9,167 acres. It included 538 acres in the parish of Cloonfinlough, barony and county of Roscommon, leased to Margaret Fitzgibbon. In 1857 John Stratford Kirwan bought Moyne House and over a thousand acres of the Browne estate in the parish of Abbeyknockmoy.
Kirwan (Moyne) John Stratford Kirwan bought the Moyne estate, parish of Abbeyknockmoy, barony of Tiaquin, from Michael Joseph Browne circa 1857 and other lands in the parish formerly the estate of John Kirwan. He was son of Euseby Stratford Kirwan of Bawn House, county Longford. Euseby S. Kirwan was a son of John Kirwan, a Dublin attorney who married Anne Stratford, only child of Euseby Stratford, nephew of the 1st Earl of Aldborough. He was married twice, first to Emelia Evans daughter of the Reverend Robert Evans and his wife Emelia Forbes of the Granard family, county Longford and secondly to Mary Kirwan of Hillsbrook. In 1859 John Stratford Kirwan married Lady Victoria Maria Louisa Hastings, daughter of the 2nd Marquess of Hastings. By 1865 however he had over extended his financial resources and the Moyne estate and some lands in the barony of Kiltarton and Dunmore were advertised for sale again. A lithograph of Moyne is included with the sale rental. J. S. Kirwan was also selling estates in counties Clare and Longford at this time. His county Clare estate was over 6,400 acres in the baronies of Burren, Bunratty and Inchiquin. The sale rental records that Kirwan spent £26,000 buying most of his county Clare estate in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1858. He also purchased some of his estate in the sale of January 1865, though other lots were sold to William Lane Joynt, in trust for Lord Annaly and to Mr. Barlow. In the 1870s John S. Kirwan, address The Reform Club, London, owned 837 acres in county Galway and 265 acres in county Mayo. In 1865 his sister Mary married Sir George Clendining O'Donel of Newport House, county Mayo.
Kelly (Newtown) A family with county Roscommon origins, members of 18th century generations of the Kellys served in the Austrian Army and were prominent landowners in Jamaica. In 1802 John Kelly bought the Newtown estate from the Brownes of Moyne and three generations of the family resided there in the 19th century. In the mid 19th century the estate amounted to nine townlands in the parish of Abbeyknockmoy, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. Charles Kelly is recorded as the owner of over 2,000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Matilda, Countess de la Boisserie, wrote memoirs of her childhood at Newtown. In June 1885 Charles Kelly was advertising the sale of over 1,000 acres in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway and lands in the barony and county of Leitrim and in the baronies of Ballintober North and Athlone, county Roscommon. It is not clear if this is Charles Kelly of Newtown. The lands in the parish of Kilkerrin were leased to William Parke Cullen. The purchasers included John Marsham, Joseph Vaughan and the tenant of one of the properties, Michael Harrington.
Lynch (Garracloon) Martin J. Blake writes about Andrew Lynch of Galway who had purchased land in the barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo in the 1620s. Andrew Lynch lost his Galway property under the Cromwellian settlement but retained his county Mayo lands at Garracloone under the Restoration settlement. He had two sons John and Marcus. John died in 1678 and was succeeded by his brother Marcus who in turn was succeeded by his son in law Mark Lynch FitzJames, who had two daughters Juliane married George Blake of Killernane, county Mayo, second son of Martin Blake of Moyne in 1728 and Mary who married Thomas Browne of Newtown. In the late 1770s legal documents record the partition of lands in county Galway, including Cloonacauneen Castle, between Martin Blake Lynch of Dublin and Mark Browne Lynch of Newtown. Martin Blake Lynch died without heirs circa 1799.