Digby (Moat Lodge)
The Digby's title to their estate in the barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, commenced with the marriage settlement of Robert Digby, a grandson of John Digby of Landenstown, county Kildare and Charlotte O'Hara in 1812. Their only son, William John Digby of Moat Lodge, Moylough, held thirteen townlands in the parish of Kilkerrin and three townlands in the parish of Moylough in the mid 19th century. He married Sarah Le Poer Trench, daughter of the rector of Moylough and a great granddaughter of 1st Earl of Clancarty. Their son, Robert Kenelm Digby, owned 4,930 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. He still occupied Moat at the beginning of the 20th century. Over 3,600 acres of Robert K. Digby's estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 15 Nov 1913. These Digbys were a branch of the Digby family descended from Simon Digby, Bishop of Elphin, to whom the Digbys of the Aran Islands were also connected.