Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Burke (Moyglass)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Burke (Moyglass) Under the Acts of Settlement John Burke was granted over 300 acres around Moyglass, barony of Leitrim and other lands in the barony of Dunkellin. In 1837 Lewis recorded Moyglass as the seat of J. Burke. Lands belonging to John Burke, at Moyglass, parish of Leitrim, barony of Leitrim, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in January 1851. Edward Burke was the occupier of a house at Clonco in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Leitrim at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1906 John K. Burke held over 200 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Clonco.
Burke (Burke's Court/Cloondaduv) Garret Burke held a property from the Clanricarde estate at Cloondaduv in the parish of Ballynakill. John K. Burke, with an address at Woodford, held over 700 acres in the 1870s. Weir states that a branch of this family settled at Meelick, in the parish of Clonrush, possibly in the seventeenth century. Edward Burke of Meelick was buried at Kilnalahan Abbey, in the village of Abbey, county Galway, in 1741. The Meelick estate later bacame a Blake property.