Landed Estates
NUI Galway

French (Corgary)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Joyce (Corgary) An estate bought by Walter Joyce of Mervue from the French family in 1806. In the mid 19th century it was comprised of 7 townlands in the parish of Killoscobe, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, some of which was leased to the Concannons. Walter Joyce had 3 sons, Walter of Corgary, Pierce of Mervue and Thomas of Rahasane Park. In the mid 1870s Walter Joyce of Corgary owned about 1,000 acres in county Mayo, 2,828 in county Galway and smaller acreages in Galway town and county Clare (365 acres at Muckinish East, parish of Drumcreehy, barony of Burren). 680 acres of the Joyce estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in March 1913. Walter Joyce of Corgary was fatally shot in January 1923 and following his death his estate was sold to the Land Commission.
French (Corgary) An estate in the barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, established in the late 16th century by a younger son of Peter French, Mayor of Galway, 1576-1577. Abbert in the parish of Monivea was sold to the Blakeneys by 1720 and Corgary/Corgerry, parish of Killoscobe, to the Joyces circa 1806.