Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Concanon

Description

Charles ffrench Blake Forster records that Edmond Concannon of Carrownacreggy (died 1770) had a son Henry who married Rachael Marshal of Ballygaddy, county Galway and died in 1810. Henry Concannon had 2 sons Edmond John and James Henry, who married Olivia daughter of Neptune Lynch of Woodpark, county Roscommon. Edmond John Concannon of Waterloo married in 1815 Jane Blake of Belmont and had 6 sons Henry, John, Edmond, James Blake, Arthur and George.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Joyce (Corgary) An estate bought by Walter Joyce of Mervue from the French family in 1806. In the mid 19th century it was comprised of 7 townlands in the parish of Killoscobe, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, some of which was leased to the Concannons. Walter Joyce had 3 sons, Walter of Corgary, Pierce of Mervue and Thomas of Rahasane Park. In the mid 1870s Walter Joyce of Corgary owned about 1,000 acres in county Mayo, 2,828 in county Galway and smaller acreages in Galway town and county Clare (365 acres at Muckinish East, parish of Drumcreehy, barony of Burren). 680 acres of the Joyce estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in March 1913. Walter Joyce of Corgary was fatally shot in January 1923 and following his death his estate was sold to the Land Commission.
Concanon The Concannons were formerly Gaelic chiefs in the Kilkerrin area of north east Galway. The lands of Carrownacregg were granted to Sisby O'Concannon by patent dated 21 Mar 1678. Waterloo replaced Carrownacregg as the main family residence in the early 19th century. In 1824 Edmund Concannon, of Waterloo Lodge, is recorded as a resident proprietor in county Galway. He married Jane, daughter of John Blake of Belmont and his wife Sarah Cuff, sister of Baron Tyrawley. Blake Foster records that they had six sons, the eldest,Henry, was a barrister and married Countess Maria Aurora Arabella de Luicia. The third son, Edmond, married Kate Parsons and they had a son, Edmond John. James Blake Concannon of Esker was the fourth son. Over 3000 acres owned by Edmond John Concannon and Edward Thomas Beytagh, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1851. Much of the land was in the baronies of Clare and Dunkellin, county Galway and some of it was on perpetual lease from the Clanricarde estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Concannons held land in the parish of Killoscobe, barony of Tiaquin, some of which was leased from Walter Joyce of Corgary and also in the parish of Grange, barony of Loughrea. Henry Concannon sold Carrownacregg West, including a mansion 'out of repair', to James Browne in 1851. Three persons named Concannon with addresses at Tuam, Dunmore and Castleblakeney, owned small acreages in county Galway in the 1870s. Loughnane, writing in 1975, gives an account of working for the Concannon family at Rockfield between 1910-1931.
Browne (Carrownacregg West) James Browne, a brother of Edward Browne of Ardskea, barony of Clare, county Galway, owned 2 townlands in the parish of Killoscobe, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1851 he bought the townland of Killoscobe from George Ruttledge and Carrownacregg West from Henry Concannon. James Browne owned 574 acres in the 1870s and his wife Julia owned 947 acres in county Galway. McHale writes that James's grandson Michael Browne died in 1909 and the land was bought by the Land Commission.