Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Butler (Doon & Thornpark)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Blake (Doonmacreena & Oranmore) This branch of the Blake family, descended from the Blakes of Ballyglunin, county Galway, was settled at Doonmacreena on the border between counties Mayo and Galway from the early 17th century. They were regranted their estate, almost 3,356 acres in the barony of Clanmorris, under the Acts of Settlement. Through a marriage in 1693 they acquired an estate at Oranmore, outside Galway city, from the Athy family. Their county Mayo estate amounted to over 2500 acres in the parishes of Crossboyne and Kilvine in the barony of Clanmorris and their county Galway estate to over 200 acres in the parish of Oranmore, barony of Dunkellin. According to ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' one 18th century member of this family had a colourful career. In 1824 Walter Blake of Oran Castle is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway. The Blakes sold their Doonmacreena estate in 1851 and their Oranmore estate was advertised for sale in 1853 and bought by James Dillon Meldon. However, Walter Blake was the lessor of property in Oranmore at the time of Griffith's Valuation in 1855. The mother of John Blake Dillon, one of the co founders of "The Nation" newspaper was a Blake of Doonmacreena.
Butler (Doon & Thornpark) The Butlers of Doonemulvihill, county Clare and Thornpark, county Galway are descended from James Butler of Doonemulvihill and his wife, an O'Hogan of Cragmoher, county Clare. From Peter Butler, the third son of this couple, descend the Butlers of Bunnahow. In 1798 Henry Butler of Millbrooke, county Clare, son of James and Theresa Butler of Doone and Millbrooke, county Clare, married Ann daughter of Xaverius Blake of Oran Castle, county Galway and Doonmacreena, county Mayo. Their eldest son, James Blake Butler, lived at Glenwilliam. Their second son, Xaverius Blake Butler of Thornpark, is recorded as the owner of over 300 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. He also held over 150 acres in county Limerick and at the time of Griffith's Valuation, a house at North Richmond St, Dublin. In 1906 James Blake Butler owned over 200 acres of untenanted land at Carrowmoneash.
Butler (Bunnahow & Walterstown) Both Hussey de Burgh and the Landowners state that William Butler of Bunmahon, owned an estate of over 1,300 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Bunmahon may possibly be a mistake for Bunnahow, on the border of counties Galway and Clare. The Butlers of Bunnahow and Walterstown, county Clare, were a junior branch of the Butler family of Doone and Millbrook, county Clare. They married into a number of county Galway families, including the Butlers of Cregg Castle, Blakes of Kiltullagh and Frenchfort and the Blake Forsters of Ashfield. The Butler estate straddled the border between counties Galway and Clare. Their county Galway land was mainly in the parish of Beagh, barony of Kiltartan and their county Clare land was in the parish of Inchicronan, barony of Bunratty Upper where their residence Bunnahow was also located. They held their county Clare property from George Wyndham, later Lord Leconfield. In the 1870s William Butler of "Bunmahon" owned 1396 acres in county Galway and Nicholas Butler of Walterstown owned 847 acres in county Galway and 2194 acres in county Clare. Austin Butler also held over 300 acres in Beagh parish in the 1870s. http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/butlers/appendix10.htm