Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Perry


Estate(s)

Name Description
Perry James Perry is recorded as the occupier of two properties in the parish of Athenry at the time of Griffith's valuation.
Goodbody James Perry Goodbody of Beechmount, Clara, county Offaly, owned an estate of 2,309 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. His mother was a daughter of James Perry of Obelisk Park, county Dublin, who held property in Athenry, county Galway at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Part of the estate of Lewis Goodbody at Pokoroko, in the townland of Fairy Hill, barony of Longford, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in June 1877. The Irish Times reported that George Cheevers was the purchaser. Lewis Goodbody, of Drayton Villa, Clara, is recorded as the owner of over 100 acres in county Galway in the 1870s as well as lands in Offaly and Westmeath. Marcus Goodbody is recorded as the proprietor of over 2300 acres in county Galway at the same time.
Perry (Woodrooff) The Perrys were established at Woodrooff, Clonmel, county Tipperary, from the beginning of the 18th century. In 1703 John Perry of Woodruffe bought part of the estate of King James II in the barony of Iffa and Offa. Samuel Perry married Phoebe Norcott and had two sons, William, who inherited Woodrooff from his uncle John Perry, and Richard, a merchant in Cork. William's eldest son, Samuel Perry, married the Honourable Deborah Prittie, second daughter of the 1st Baron Dunalley. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Perry estate was located in the parishes of Derrygrath, Newcastle, Rochestown, barony of Iffa and Offa West and Inishlounaght, Kilsheelan, Newchapel and St Mary's Clonmel, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary and included large mountaineous areas. In the 1870s Samuel Perry of Woodrooffe owned 2,768 acres and William Perry of Newcastle owned 5,583 acres in county Tipperary. see http://www.jessandra.de/Woodrooff.htm