Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Whaley/Whalley


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lynch (Barna) According to Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' the Barna estate came into the possession of the Lynches through marriage with an O'Halloran heiress in the 17th century and through purchase from the Whaley family. Further additions to their estate were made through marriages with a Blake of Renvyle heiress and a French of Cloghballymore. In the late 18th century a son of Mark Lynch of Barna lived at Cloghballymore and had a daughter Anne who married Maurice Blake of Ballinafad, county Mayo. The Lynches resided at Barna, just west of Galway city. James Hardiman referred to the 'highly improved and elegant seat of Marcus Blake Lynch which for situation and beauty of prospect stands unrivelled'. Before the Famine their estate appears to have been in the Courts. Some of it in the barony of Ballynahinch was sold to the Grahams of county Fermanagh in the early 1840s and some may have transferred into the ownership of the Comyn family through marriage. What was known as the West Barna Estate was sold to Andrew Henry Lynch in 1834. However at the time of Griffith's Valuation the Lynches still retained a large estate in the parishes of Rahoon, barony of Galway and Moyrus, barony of Ballynahinch. By June 1869 their estate of 9,565 acres in the parish of Moyrus was being advertised for sale, 5 of the 8 lots were sold that year. In the early 1870s they owned 4,100 acres in the county and 1,711 in the county of the town of Galway.
Whaley/Whalley John Whaley was granted over 1,600 acres in the county of the town of Galway with additional lands in the baronies of Leitrim, Loughrea, Athenry and Moycullen by patents dated 23 Oct 1667, 6 May 1669 and 3 Aug 1678. Richard Whaley of Newford, Member of Parliament for Athenry, died in 1725. His son Richard Chappell Whaley lived at Whaley Abbey, county Wicklow. His granddaughter married Sir Charles Coote of Ballyfin, Queens county (Co Laois). The Newford estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered estates court in 1852 as were Whalley estates in counties Armagh, Louth and Carlow. Other lands in county Galway, notably in the parish of Clonrush and at Kilcorkey in the town of Galway, were offered for sale at the same time. Sir Charles Henry Coote was the petitioner. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Newford was occupied by James Perry.