Landed Estates
NUI Galway

St George (Headford)

Description

The St Georges of Headford Castle and of Tyrone both trace their ancestry back through the female line to the St Georges of Hatley St George, Cambridgeshire and share a common ancestry with the St Georges of Carrickdrumrusk, county Leitrim, Barons St George of Hatley St George.


Estate(s)

Name Description
St. George Richard St George, a member of a Cambridgeshire family, came to Ireland in the 17th century and was appointed Governor of the town of Athlone. His grandson, Richard St George of Carrick on Shannon, county Leitrim, had two natural children, Richard St George, founder of the Hatley Manor, county Leitrim branch of the family and Mary St George, who married James Mansergh and they were the parents of Colonel Richard Mansergh St George of Headford, county Galway. Members of the family served as High Sheriffs of Leitrim in the eighteenth century. Charles Manners St. George and his Swedish wife Christina were the owners of the St.George estate in Leitrim in the mid-19th century. Petronella Halberg, niece of Christina St George, married Charles Whyte of Newtown Manor and the Whytes inherited Hatley Manor and much of the St George property. The representative of Mrs. St. George are listed as the owners of over 1600 acres in 1876. The family also held lands in counties Offaly, Roscommon, Tipperary (629 acres in the parish of Donaghmore, barony of Iffa and Offa East) and Waterford where Christina St George is recorded as the owner of over 1000 acres. Over 300 acres of Sir John St. George's estate in the latter county was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1878. Sir Richard St. George of Tully is recorded as a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. In 1852 the Roscommon portion of the estate in the barony of Moycarn was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court.This was the property of Richard Bligh St. George and Thomas Baldwin St. George. However, it appears not to have all been sold as Kate St.George was a principal lessor in the parish of Moore, barony of Moycarn, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Her property was sublet from the Bishop of Meath. In the 1870s she is recorded as owning over 1700 acres in county Roscommon and was resident at Cheltenham, England.
O'Flaherty (Lisdonagh) For fifty years in the middle of the 19th century a branch of the O'Flaherty family leased an estate at Lisdonagh, parish of Donaghpatrick, barony of Clare, county Galway, from the St George family of Headford. Bernard O'Flaherty of Lisdonagh was agent to Peter Lynch of Ballycurran in the 1830s. In the 1850s Bernard O'Flaherty was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Oranmore, close to Galway city and held part of Annaghkeen, barony of Clare. Parts of the estate of Dominick O'Flaherty were sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1854, purchased in trust by Mr. O'Flaherty. In the 1870s he owned more than a thousand acres in the town and county of Galway and his address was Villa, Galway. John Andrew O'Flaherty, the residuary devisee of Bernard O'Flaherty, was selling land in the barony of Clare and Shannon View in the barony of Longford in May 1884. John A. O'Flaherty, then resident in New South Wales, sold the townland of Brockagh, in the parish of Oranmore to the Irish Land Commission in 1901/2. Hughes writes that Martin O'Flaherty, on his return from the United States of America in the 1860s, bought Lydican Castle and other land in the county. In the 1870s Martin O'Flaherty of Lisdonagh owned 2,128 acres in county Galway. He married Mary O'Gorman and their daughter Eva, a founder member of Scoil Acla on Achill Island, was born in 1874. He sold his estate to Peter O'Mahony in the late 19th century and Lisdonagh passed to Henry Palmer of Galway, who married O'Mahony's daughter. Their daughter Valda Palmer lived at Lisdonagh until the 1990s. In 1885 Martin Francis O'Flaherty was acting as a trustee for the estate of Edward Michael Davies, a bankrupt. Part of this estate at Moneyteigue, barony of Dunkellin, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in April 1885.
St. George (Headford) The St Georges were a Cambridgeshire family who were granted lands in the Headford area by the Cromwellian Commissioners, much of it formerly held by the Skerrett family. Their ownership of lands in counties Galway, Roscommon, Limerick and Queen's county (county Laois) was confirmed by a patent dated 26 Oct 1666. A member of the Mansergh family from county Cork inherited the estate in the late 18th century and changed his name to St George. Richard Mansergh St George employed Charles Frizell to survey his estate in the 1770s and was murdered in county Cork in 1797. By the mid 19th century the St Georges had an extensive estate in the parishes of Kilkilvery, Killursa, Cargin, Killeany and Donaghpatrick in the barony of Clare, county Galway, including the town of Headford. John O'Hara of Galway was their agent. Charles Mansergh St George also held land in the parish of Donaghmore, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary. In the early 1870s Richard St. George's estate in county Galway amounted to over 7000 acres. It was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1876, some of it was sold but it was not until the 1890s that the final parts of the estate were sold to the Land Commission. Thomas McDonagh bought Headford Castle, the demesne and most of the town. After the Castle was burnt down in 1906 the McDonaghs went to live at Moyne Hill. The rent roll of Sir Richard St George Mansergh St George's estates in counties Cork, Tipperary and Kilkenny show him holding the townlands of Curraghpoor, parish of Rathlynin, barony of Clanwilliam and Ballyhasty, parish of Modreeny, barony of Lower Ormond, Co. Tipperary; Ballybur, Co. Kilkenny; Gortnaskehy East and West, Macroney, Curragh More East and West, 'Curraghnafeddy East and West,' Clashganniv, Kilbeg, Shanacloon, 'Belerogh' alias Lisseenkirkey', 'Lyregilikeen', 'Lyrebarry', 'Luresolevan', Co. Cork. In 1851 he was also among the principal lessors in the parish of Ardmore, county Waterford.
Mansergh (Grenane) The Manserghs, originally from Barwicke Hall, Yorkshire, settled at Macrony Castle, near Fermoy in county Cork in the mid 17th century. Through marriage with a Southcote heiress they inherited Grenane, county Tipperary in the early 18th century. In 1795 John Southcote Mansergh of Grenane married Mary, only daughter and heiress of Richard Martin of Clifford, county Cork. Their third son, Charles Carden Mansergh of Clifford, Castletownroche, county Cork, owned over a thousand acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Their fourth son, John Craven Mansergh, built a house called Rocksavage, Bridgetown Upper, parish of Bridgetown, on former Martin property. Their fifth son, Southcote Mansergh of Grallagh Castle, owned 1,099 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. His estate was advertised for sale in July 1875. Their second son and heir, Richard Martin Southcote Mansergh of Grenane, owned 2,086 acres in county Tipperary at the same time. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard S. Mansergh held a number of townlands in the parishes of Donohill, Templenoe and Tipperary, barony of Clanwilliam. Most of the land in the parish of Templenoe was held from Lady Osborne. Other family members held land in the parishes of Templenoe and Cullen, barony of Clanwilliam, Knigh and Neanagh, barony of Lower Ormond and Gaile, barony of Middlethird. Another branch of this family were based in the Cashel area of county Tipperary. Captain D.J. Mansergh of Cappamore, Cashel, owned 606 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Substantial amounts of the Grallagh estate were sold in the Landed Estates Court in the mid-1870s. The purchasers included Messers. Cahill, Carey and Hughes. http://www.manserghclan.com/history.html