In 1855 Reverend Thomas Kelly is recorded as the owner of several townlands in the parish of Kinvarradoorus, barony of Kiltartan, and in the parishes of Athenry and Lackagh, barony of Clare, county Galway. He is also recorded as the lessor of Aggardmore, inclduing Aggard House valued at £28, to John W.H. Lambert. In 1857 his estate in the baronies of Kiltarton, Dunkellin and Clare amounting to 4,938 acres, was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The sale included 170 acres in Queen's county [county Laois]. Lane notes that Caroline Theodosia Kelly owed over £4000 out of the sale of this estate and that she purchased other property in the locality as a result.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Kelly, 3 Feb 1857, Vol 44, MRGS 39/021, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Modern printed sources
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 2.
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': LANE, Padraig G. Purchasers of land in counties Galway and Mayo in the Encumbered Estates court, 1849-1858. XLIII (1991), p. 109.