At the time of Griffith's Valuation Samuel Jones held Ballyconneely and islands in the parish of Ballindoon, previously part of the estate of the O'Neills of Bunowen and two townlands in the parish of Moyrus, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway. In November 1864 John Campbell Jones advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court an estate of over 3,600 acres in the Clifden locality in twelve lots. Part of the estate was readvertised in July 1865 and again in May 1868. Moreton Frewen acquired the Jones estate in the parish of Moyrus. John C. Jones still owned 455 acres in county Galway in the 1870s.
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Jones, 22 Nov 1864 & 4 July 1865, Vols 74 & 78, MRGS 39/037 & 39/038, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Jones, 8 May 1868, Vol 89, MRGS 39/043, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Ardbear cottage photos. 022/028; Irish Architectural Archive
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Clifden Union, 75
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 296
Modern printed sources
- ''Jnl. of the Clifden and Connemara Heritage Group'': VILLIERS-TUTHILL, Kathleen. Rags to riches in Clifden 'society'. I No.1 (1993), 81-84
- ROBINSON, Tim (ed). ''Connemara after the Famine: Journal of a Survey of the Martin Estate by Thomas Colville Scott, 1853''. Dublin: The Lilliput Press, 1995: p.98, footnote 34.
- DEAN, J.A.K. ''The gate lodges of Connaught: a gazetteer.'' Dublin ; Wordwell, 2019. : p.17 (Ardbear)