In 1857 John Hall bought John Ellis's lease of the Letterfrack estate, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway. In the 1870s he is recorded as owning 972 acres in county Galway. He sold his estate in 1882 to the Archbishop of Tuam for £3000. In 1888 the Christian Brothers were given a lease to set up a school for delinquent boys. Some of the land was taken over by the Congested Districts' Board in 1916 and the remainder is now the Connemara National Park.
- Letterfrack Lodge, phote 2002. 117/035; Irish Architectural Archive
- Title deeds to the Letterfrack Estate, 1849-1886. B2/06-v/01-08; Tuam Diocesan Archives, Tuam
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 198
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 296