Landed Estates
NUI Galway


A branch of the O'Neills of the Fews, county Armagh, who were transplanted to county Mayo by the Cromwell Commissioners. They were granted Cloongee, parish of Templemore and Oldcastle, parish of Meelick in the barony of Gallen and were confirmed in their possession of over 4,000 acres by grant under the Acts of Settlement dated 1680. Captain Henry O'Neile was attainted after the Jacobite War and his estate sold to William Moore of Dublin in 1703. However a branch of the family retained Carrowroger and Carrowconnell, parish of Kildacommoge, until 1758 under a lease for 99 years.

Associated Families

No houses were found for this estate

Archival sources

  • Pedigree of O’Neill of Ulster and of Carrowrory, Co Mayo, 1400 BC – 1812 AD. GO MS 168, 132-6 & 205-30; National Library of Ireland
  • Pedigee of O’Neill of Ulster and of Newcastle, Foxford, Carrowrony and Carlicken, Co Mayo c 1170-1810. GO MS 112, 216-235; National Library of Ireland
  • Pedigree of O’Neill of the Fews, of Carrowrory, Co Mayo and of other places, c 917-1803. GO MS 164; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources