McParlan records Mr. Madden as a non-resident proprietor in county Leitrim in 1802. John Madden is recorded as owning 3500 acres in Leitrim in 1878 and also held land in county Monaghan. In the 1850s he held land in the parish of Cloone, barony of Mohill. His estate was centred on Hilton Park, county Monaghan. He held lands in Leitrim on long leases from the Archbishops of Tuam and by virtue of his marriage in 1864 to Caroline Clements, sister of the 4th Earl of Leitrim. http://www.proni.gov.uk/records/private/madden.htm. In the 1880s Bateman refers to John Madden of Hilton Park as the owner of over 3500 acres in county Leitrim and 4,600 acres in county Monaghan.
No houses were found for this estate
- Madden Papers, include rentals of the Co Leitrim estates and papers re the Ryder estate in Co Galway, 18th-19th centuries. D/3465; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 305
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 300
- McPARLAN, James. ''Statistical Survey of the county of Leitrim''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1802. : 110.
- BATEMAN, John. ''The great landowners of Great Britain and Ireland''. London: Harrison, 1883. : p.294
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 447.
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF IRELAND. Reports on Private Collections: Madden Papers, includes reference to will of Archbishop John Ryder, 1774. No. 9