Landed Estates
NUI Galway

West (Mohill)

The Wests were a family from county Dublin who appear to have acquired land in Connacht by marriage. Cottage Vale house was the residence of the West family from the early 19th century. George West was leasing it from Charles Ensor in 1856. In the 1870s the Reverend Augustus West was resident at Ardagh Rectory, county Longford. In 1842 he married Lucinda Digby Brooke of Prosperous, county Kildare. He owned 416 acres in county Leitrim as well as 1600 acres in county Galway and over 300 acres in county Roscommon. In January 1883 the lands of Carrownskeheen in the parish of Kilglass, barony of Ballintober North, county Roscommon, belonging to the Reverend A. W. West, were advertised for sale with some land in King's County (county Offaly). The Irish Times reported the sale of this estate to Archdeacon Warburton in November 1883. Earlier generations of the family had intermarried with the Kellys of Castle Kelly and the Lysters of Athleague. Another family member Henry West of Loughlinstown House, county Dublin, owned 605 acres in county Roscommon and three acres in county Galway.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cottage Vale Drumdarkan Cloone Mohill Riverstown 66 Mohill Leitrim OSI Ref: H128001
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map: 34