Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Peyton (Port)

Port became part of the Peyton estate through the marriage of John Hamilton Peyton to Mary Cunningham, heiress of Port, in 1814. John Hamilton Peyton of Port was High Sheriff of Leitrim and in 1851 was a member of the Grand Jury for Leitrim. In the mid 1850s the house at Port was occupied by George Latimer. The Port estate, 726 acres, was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court on 28 June 1853. Included in the sale was the townland of Ballyglass South, 555 acres in the parish of Kilcroan, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. This townland was in the possession of Patrick O'Connor, who had purchased it at the Encumbered Estates Court sale, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Freeman's Journal gives details of the purchasers of the county Leitrim property. In January 1865, property in county Leitrim owned by Anna Cunningham was sold in the Landed Estates Court. Charles W. Peyton was the petitioner to the sale and one lot was purchased in trust for him while the second lot was purchased on behalf of the Earl of Leitrim.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Port Port Kiltoghert Carrick-on-Shannon Gowel 31 Leitrim Leitrim OSI Ref: G955033
OS Sheet: 27
Discovery map: 33

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Peyton, 28 June 1853, Vol 21, MRGS 39/010, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Family of Peyton, formerly Malet of Peyton Hall in Suffolk & other locations in England & of Boyle & Cartrons, county Roscommon and Laheen, Dayney & Port, county Leitrim, 1100-1840. GO Ms. 174, 128-53. ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources