This estate, amounting to 1210 acres was the property of Rev. Walter Peyton, incumbrant of Billas, Virginia, county Cavan, in 1876. This branch of the Peyton family, like that at Loughscur, was descended from Humphrey Peyton, of Boyle, county Roscommon, who died in the 1660s.George Hamilton Cunningham Peyton of Driney was High Sheriff of Leitrim in 1815. In 1906 the representatives of the Revd. Walter Peyton held over 150 acres of untenanted land at Driney as well as the mansion house.
- Family of Peyton, formerly Malet of Peyton Hall in Suffolk & other locations in England & of Boyle & Cartrons, county Roscommon and Laheen, Dayney & Port, county Leitrim, 1100-1840. GO Ms. 174, 128-53. ; National Library of Ireland
- Baker, Ringwood & Gordon, solicitors' collection, includes documents re Peyton estate of Driney, 1754, 1772, 1856-1905. Small Accs. Index 105, M.4537(1-19), D.23,254-23,256, T.12,233; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol II, 217.
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 366
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 305
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Carrick-on-Shannon Union, 107.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 344.
- TAYLOR, George & SKINNER, Andrew. ''Maps of the Roads of Ireland, surveyed in 1777 and corrected down to 1783''. Facsimile of 2nd edition. Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969: 232.
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 560-561
- HARRISON, A (compiler).'' A roll of all gentlemen....High Sheriffs, MPs & other officers of county Leitrim, 1600-1909.'' Carrick-on-Shannon: printed by P. Brennan, 1910. : 9.
- KELLY, Liam. ''Kiltubrid, County Leitrim. Snapshots of a rural parish in the 1890s''. Dublin: Four Courts Press Ltd, 2005: 21-24