Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Martyn (Curraghmore)

Abstracts of original documents in the Blake Papers show that an estate at Curraghmore was granted to the Martyns in 1612. Martin J. Blake recorded the descent of the Martyns of Curraghmore from Geoffrey Martyn of Ballinderry, county Galway, who made his will on 6 Sept 1697, which shows a link with the Tullira Martyns. In 1685 Geoffrey Martyn married Katherine Skerrett of Ballinduff, county Galway, and it was their eldest son, John, who settled at Curraghmore. In the 19th century the Martyn estate was made up of a number of separated townlands in the parishes of Ballinrobe, Kilmainemore and Kilcommon in the barony of Kilmaine and Kilcolman and Mayo in the barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo. In 1824 a Martin of Curraghmore is recorded as a resident proprietor in county Galway. In 1876 the Martyns owned 1443 acres in county Mayo. Geoffrey Martyn, who married Eleanor Coghlan of Brize and died in 1868, built the house at Curraghmore that is still extant and had six sons. One of his younger sons was George V. Martyn who wrote articles for the ''Journal of the Galway Archaelogical and Historical Society'' in the early 20th century. In June 1927 the ''Tuam Herald'' reported that the Land Commission had purchased almost 600 acres, the estate of Alexander Martyn at Curraghmore.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Curramore House Curramore Ballinrobe Ballinrobe Ballinrobe 23 Kilmaine Mayo OSI Ref: M143 646
OS Sheet: 117
Discovery map: 38

Archival sources

  • Abstract of title of Richard Butler to judgment affecting the estates of Geoffrey Martyn of Curramore, Co Mayo, citing documents, 1841-73. M. 5434; National Archives of Ireland
  • Blake Papers. MS 10,791 (8); National Library of Ireland
  • Curraghmore photos. 011/039; Irish Architectural Archive

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources