Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Simpson (Clooncorick)

A family who settled in the Drumsna area of county Leitrim at the beginning of the 18th century. Mr. Simpson of Drumsna was listed as a resident proprietor in Leitrim by McParlan in 1802.Pierce Simpson of Clooncorick served as High Sheriff of Leitrim in 1836. Clooncorick Castle was the seat of the Simpson family during the 19th century although it appears to have been leased from the Ormsby Gore estate. The estate also held several townlands in Mohill parish in the baronies of both Leitrim and Mohill and in the parishes of Elphin and Shankill, barony and county of Roscommon. In the 1870s the Simpson estate amounted to 1,652 acres in county Leitrim, 1,293 acres in county Roscommon and 339 acres in county Wexford. In June 1886 George Simpson, the owner, offered the estate for sale in the Land Judges' Court but the sale was adjourned due to absence of bidding.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Clooncorick Castle Clooncorick Carrigallen Mohill Carrigallen East 57 Carrigallen Leitrim OSI Ref: H237042
OS Sheet: 30
Discovery map: 34

Archival sources

  • Irish Tourist Authority. Topographical and General Survey, 1941-1945. Carrigallen Parish. File 130 ; Leitrim County Library
  • Clooncorick. Photographs. 011/010. ; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Collis & Ward, solicitors' collection, includes 19th century documents re the Simpson estate in at Leevy, Corlea & Corlasky in Co Leitrim & in Co Roscommon 1743-1898, original wills of Pierce & Edward Simpson of Drumsna c1803, 1830 & a copy will of Pierce Simpson, 1876. Also contains other Simpson wills. Small Accs. Index 98, Parcel 20, 2/463/30, T.6287, T.6294 & T.6439 ; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources