This branch of the Tenison family is descended from members of the family who settled in the north of Ireland in the mid- 17th century and includes Bishop Richard Tenison, bishop of Killala and Achonry. Thomas Tenison married Lady Frances King, daughter of the Earl of Kingston in 1803 which resulted in that branch of the family becoming known as King-Tenison. Thomas Tennison was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. In 1845 Edward King Tenison of Kilronan was High Sheriff for Leitrim. The family held extensive estates in county Roscommon, centred on Kilronan Castle (formerly Castle Tenison), near Keadue. Edward King Tenison was one of the principal lessors of property in the parishes of Ardcarn & Kilronan, barony of Boyle at the time of Griffith's Valuation. King-Tenison property in County Dublin was sold in the Landed Estates Court in November 1861. In 1876 the family held almost 17,000 acres in county Roscommon as well as over 1600 in county Sligo and 1500 in county Leitrim, mostly in the parish of Drumreilly. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey the agent for the estate was Little of Carrick-on-Shannon.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Kilronan Castle/Castle Tennison||Castletenison Demesne||Kilronan||Boyle||Keadew 43||Boyle||Roscommon||
OSI Ref: G871121
Discovery map: 25
OSI Ref: G893114
OS Sheet: 3, 4
Discovery map: 26
- Survey of manor of Cootehall, estate of Edw. K. Tennison, 1862. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
- Rental of Kilronan & Cootehall estates, 1900. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
- Summary accounts relating to Leitrim, Roscommon & Sligo estates, 1844-62. Ms. 2187. ; National Library of Ireland
- Abstract of names of purchasers at sale of estates, November, 1861. Ms. 2187. ; National Library of Ireland
- Rental of Thomas Tenison's estates in county Roscommon, 1836-1640 with a return of labourers & tradesmen employed, 1846. MSS. 5101.; National Library of Ireland
- Rent book showing amounts received from tenants on Edw. King-Tenison's estate in counties Roscommon & Dublin, 1846-59. MSS.3156. ; National Library of Ireland
- Valuation survey of estate of Edward King-Tenison in counties of Roscommon & Tyrone, 1862, a collection of 57 maps. MSS. 19,747. ; National Library of Ireland
- Deeds re Tenison & allied families, re lands in Cos Roscommon & Dublin, 1758, 19th-20th centuries. D 27,369-27,377; National Library of Ireland
- Probates of wills of Edward K. Tenison, Kilronan Castle, and Lady Louisa Tenison, 1878, 1882. T.5303-5304; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 441
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 306 (Leitrim), 319 (Roscommon).
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 101
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol. II, 203.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Boyle Union, 91 (Castletenison), 96 (Knockranny)
- WELD, Isaac. ''Statistical Survey of the county of Roscommon''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1832. : 651
Modern printed sources
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 176
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 686
- GLIN, Knight of, GRIFFIN, D. J. & ROBINSON, N.K (eds).'' Vanishing Country Houses of Ireland''. Dublin: Irish Architectural Archive/Irish Georgian Society, 1989. : 127 (Kilronan Castle)
- HARRISON, A (compiler).'' A roll of all gentlemen....High Sheriffs, MPs & other officers of county Leitrim, 1600-1909.'' Carrick-on-Shannon: printed by P. Brennan, 1910. : 11.
- TONRA, Henry.''Parish of Ardcarne: a history''. (Cootehall, county Roscommon: [the author], 2001. : 127-128
- ''Irish Times'': 22 November 1861 p.4.
- ''Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies: the journal of the Irish Georgian Society''. : FITZPATRICK, Orla. Victorian gallery: Louisa Tenison's photographic and mixed media album, 1864-1874. XIV (2011), pp.128-151.
- MULLIGAN, Kevin. ''Vain transitory splendours: the Irish country house and the art of John Nankivell.'' Dublin: Irish Georgian Society, 2018. : Kilronan, pp.102-103.
- CONNOLLY, Paul. ''The landed estates of county Roscommon''. Roscommon: [the auhor], 2018. : pp.236-253.
- FARRELL, R, O'CONOR, K.& POTTER, M.(eds).'' Roscommon History and Society''. Dublin: Geography Publications, 2018. : Fitzpatrick, Orla. Kilronan Castle and Mote Park: the decline of two Roscommon Big Houses. pp.301-325.