In the mid 19th century Philip Gowan held 2 townlands in the parish of Killavinoge, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary. One was leased to Dudley Byrne. Ballysorrell belonged to the Hunter family at the beginning of the 18th century. James Nuttall of Dublin married Anne daughter of John Hunter of Ballysorrell in 1707 and their second son John married Elizabeth second daughter of John Gowan of county Wexford in 1771.
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Ikerrin, 35 (Ballysorrell Little)
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 358 (Sorrel-hill, James Bennett)