Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Smith (Ardcrony)

Eleanor Smith held the townland of Ardcrony, parish of Ardcrony, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, in the mid 19th century. In the 1870s Mrs Eleanor Smith of Kingstown, county Dublin, owned 882 acres in county Tipperary. In April 1868 the estate of the Reverend William Magee and William Fenwick trustess of the marriage settle of the Reverend Charles Smith (deceased) and Elizabeth (Magee) his wife, situated in the barony of Banagh, county Donegal (1185 acres) and at Ardcroney, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, (870 acres) was advertised for sale. The county Tipperary lands were held on a lease from the Bishop of Killaloe dated 1862. In January 1872 the Irish Times reported that the sale of some of this estate had been adjourned owing to the bidding of £16,000 not deemed to be sufficient.

Associated Families

No houses were found for this estate

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Magee, Fenwick, Smith, 24 Apr 1868, Vol 89 (30), 7 May 1869, Vol 94 (35) & 19 Jan 1872, Vol 105 (16), MRGS 39/043, 39/045 & 39/049, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources