In the 1870s John O'Meara of Somerset in the townland of Abbeville, parish of Lorrha, county Tipperary, owned 1,339 acres in county Tipperary. John O'Meara, born in 1817, fourth son of Edmund O'Meara of Cahir, county Tipperary and his wife Honora McGrath, studied law in the early 1840s. In the mid 19th century, Thomas O'Mara held land in the parishes of Drom and Inch, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, while Richard O'Meara held land in the parish of Killoscully, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. Lisballyard, the estate of William J. Meara, held from William Henry Head on a lease for 31 years dated 1854, was advertised for sale in May 1876. The sale had been adjourned from February 1876 due to absence of bidders.
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Meara, 2 May 1876, Vol 123 (36), MRGS 39/056, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 167
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 354
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 274