At the time of Griffith's Valuation the name Drapes was associated with counties Cavan, Kilkenny and Waterford. In 1861 the Reverend Vernon Russell Drapes of county Kilkenny married Helena Anne daughter of the Reverend V. Pole Griffith, rector of Glencolumbkille, county Donegal. In the 1870s the Reverend Vernon R. Drapes of Kell's Priory, Thomastown, owned 1,234 acres in county Tipperary, 138 acres in county Kilkenny and 9 acres in Kilkenny city. In June 1887 over 300 acres at Glencolumbkille South, barony of Burren, county Clare were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court by William Griffith and Edward C. Standford. The petitioner was A.D. O'Brien. Due to absence of bidding the sale was adjourned.
No houses were found for this estate
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 161
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 136
- ''The Gentleman's Magazine''.: (1861), 558
Modern printed sources
- ''Irish Times'': Land Judges' Court sale reports, 4 June 1887, p.3