Members of this family were established in the parishes of Shanrahan and Kilfinnan, county Tipperary, by the mid 18th century. The Reverend William Henry Bagnell married Ann, daughter of Reverend John Armstrong of Mealiffe, county Tipperary. Reverend John Armstrong Bagnell married Alicia Chadwick and their daughter married a grandson of Viscount Exmouth in 1867. Mrs J. A. Bagnell held land in the parish of Ardfinnan, barony of Iffa and Offa East, in the mid 19th century and the representatives of Reverend John Bagnell also held land in this parish. [The estate of Matilda Bagnall at Lackey, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary and premises near Birr and at Clononamore, county Offaly, were advertised for sale in February 1855. The Freeman's Journal reported that some of these lots were purchased in trust by Messers. Kavanagh and Mitchell while the sale of other lots were adjourned].
- Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of William Bagnell of Shanrahan, Co. Tipperary, and to his great grand daughter Mary Bagnell, wife of Lt. Col. Anthony Hickman Morgan of Hollybrook House and Banalun, Co. Cork, daughter of Charles Edward Bagnell of Clonkennan, Co. Limerick, son of Rev. William Henry Bagnell, Rector of Ballybrood, Co. Limerick, Oct. 5, 1917. Genealogical Office: Ms.111B, fol.42 ; National Library of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Bagnall, 6 Feb 1855, Vol 33 (24), MRGS 39/015, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Iffa and Offa West, 4 (Marlhill)
Modern printed sources
- MONTGOMERY-MASSINGBERD, Hugh (ed). ''Burke's Irish Family Records''. London: Burke's Peerage, 1976: 48-49
- ''Freeman's Journal'': Incumbered Estates Court sale reports, 7 February 1855, p.4.