Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Saurin

The Saurins of county Tipperary were a Huguenot family who came to Ireland in the early 18th century. Members of the family became eminent clergymen and William Saurin was Attorney General for Ireland 1807-1822. He married Mary O'Brien sister of the 2nd and 3rd Marquesses of Thomond and widow of Sir Richard Cox 4th Baronet. They had three sons Edward an Admiral in the Royal Navy, James and Mark Anthony. Griffith's Valuation records Mark A. Saurin holding land in the parishes of Glenkeen, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper and Kilmore, barony of Upper Ormond. Messrs Saurin held land in the parishes of Finnoe, Monsea, Terryglass and Uskane, barony of Lower Ormond. Admiral Saurin of Dublin owned 1,812 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s and James Saurin also of Dublin owned 632 acres. Another branch of this family had an estate in Pembrokeshire.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Derrinvohil Ballyspellane South/Derrinvovil Uskane Borrisokane Uskane 11 Lower Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: R920 976
OS Sheet: 7
Discovery map: 53

Archival sources

  • Copy of confirmation of arms to the Right Hon. William Saurin, P. C., April 6, 1819. Genealogical Office: Ms.106, p.118 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Papers re the Saurin family of Carysfort House, Blackrock, Co Dublin, 1829-1872. 998/10-12; Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources