Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fawcett (Co Tipperary)

George Fawcett, son of George, born in county Tipperary, entered Trinity College, Dublin in 1833, aged 16. In the mid 19th century George Fawcett held an estate mainly in the parish of Aghnameadle, barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary, but also in the parishes of Kilruane, Latteragh and Templederry, same barony and Cullenwaine, barony of Ikerrin. 134 acres at Annameadle and Ballybeg, barony of Upper Ormond, leased to John Meagher in 1852 by George Fawcett were advertised for sale in April 1861, the estate of Mary Anne Meagher. In July 1874 the estate of the Reverend John Fawcett, over 3,000 acres in the baronies of Upper Ormond, Eliogarty and Ikerrin, was advertised for sale with 87 acres in King's County (Offaly) and 195 acres in county Donegal. Some lots were sold in January 1875, the purchasers included William Cleary and Archibald Robinson. The Reverend John Fawcett of St John's Park, Blackheath, London, owned 2,808 acres in county Tipperary in the mid 1870s.

No houses were found for this estate

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Fawcett, 4 July 1874, Vol 116 (19), MRGS 39/053, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Meagher, 16 Apr 1861, Vol 61 (43), MRGS 39/031, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources