Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Maxwell (Glenalbert)

In the mid 19th century Albert F. Maxwell held land in the parishes of Rathnaveoge and Roscrea, barony of Ikerrin and Burgesbeg, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. He was a tenant of the Earl of Portarlington in the Roscrea area. Albert Frederick Maxwell was the only son of Albert Maxwell, an attorney at the Court of Exchequer. He was born in 1803 and married Mary Smith. In the 1870s Albert Maxwell of Glenalbert owned 487 acres in county Tipperary, 335 acres in Queen's County and 93 acres in King's County.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Glenalbert House Cloonagh Roscrea Roscrea Roscrea 120 Ikerrin Tipperary OSI Ref: S132 915
OS Sheet: 12
Discovery map: 54

Archival sources

  • Papers in the Chancery case, 1874, of Maxwell v. Maxwell and others relating to Dungar and Killavilla, Offaly, including a map, 1781 and statement of title to lands in Leix, with references to the Finch family. M.5674 (1-8); National Archives of Ireland
  • W.J. Menton, Solicitors' Collection, which includes deeds, marriage settlements, legal & testamentary papers, etc re the Maxwell family, 18th - 20th centuries. See catalogue for box numbers.; Roscrea Heritage Society Centre, Damer House, Roscrea

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources