Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Harden

The Harden family appear to have been established in the Borrisoleigh area of county Tipperary from at least the early 18th century. A mid 19th century edition of Burke's Landed Gentry gives a short history of the Harden family of Crea, King's County, descended from John Harden of Borrisoleigh, eldest son of Samuel Harden. The Harden family had marriage connections with the Cooke and Bradshaw families. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Thomas H. Harden held at least seven townlands in the parish of Glenkeen, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper, county Tipperary. The 1,184 acre estate in the barony of Eliogarty and 253 acres at Gurthagarry, barony of Upper Ormond, of Samuel John Harden, administrator of Thomas Hawkesworth Harden and other Harden family members, was advertised for sale in November 1871. The Harden estate was held from the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin and from George Fawcett. One lot was sold to Robert Roe and another to William Sullivan, in trust. In the mid 1870s Samuel H. Harden of Dublin owned 941 acres in county Tipperary and the representatives of Thomas Harden, Borrisoleigh, owned 534 acres.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Summerhill Summerhill Glenkeen Thurles Borrisoleigh 122 Kilnamanagh Upper Tipperary OSI Ref: S037 680
OS Sheet: 34
Discovery map: 59