Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Blunden

In 1667 Overington Blunden gent was granted lands in counties Kilkenny, Offaly, Waterford and Tipperary and from him descend the Blundens of Castle Blunden, county Kilkenny. John Blunden was created a baronet in 1766. John Blunden held an estate in the parish of Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary in the mid 19th century. It was advertised for sale in January 1855 and amounted to over 600 acres. John O. Blunden of Mullinahone owned 87 acres in the 1870s.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Turtulla Turtulla Fertiana Thurles Thurles Rural Eliogarty Tipperary OSI Ref: S135 568
OS Sheet: 41
Discovery map: 66

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Blunden, 12 Jan l855, Vol 33 (4) & 9 Mar 1855, Vol 34 (10), MRGS 39/015, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources