Landed Estates
NUI Galway


The Hemphills are descended from the Reverend Samuel Hemphill, described as a "distinguished Presbyterian controversialist" (Burke, 1904), who settled at Spring Hill, County Tipperary early in the 18th century. His second son, Edward of Spring Hill, a medical doctor, married Frances Despard of Killaghy Castle and they were the parents of Richard Hemphill. In 1766 his third son, John Hemphill of Cashel, married Elizabeth, daughter and co heiress of Edward Bacon of Rathkenny, county Tipperary. They had four sons and three daughters. By the mid 19th century Charles Hare Hemphill of Rathkenny (created 1st Baron Hemphill in 1906) held land in the parish of Peppardstown, barony of Middlethird, while Richard Hemphill held land in the parishes of Graystown and St Johnbaptist, barony of Slievardagh and Samuel Hemphill held land in the parishes of Kilconnell and Graystown, barony of Middlethird and Killenaule, barony of Slievardagh. In the 1870s Charles H. Hemphill of Dublin owned 437 acres, the Reverend Richard Hemphill of Dublin owned 670 acres, Robert Hemphill of Clonmel owned 1,783 acres and William D. Hemphill of Clonmel owned 152 acres in county Tipperary. Robert and Samuel Hemphill were petitioners for the sale of the Terry property at Clonmel in 1872.


Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Tullira Tullira Ardrahan Gort Skehanagh 96 Dunkellin Galway OSI Ref: M473096
OS Sheet: 114
Discovery map: 52
Springhill Springhill Killenaule Cashel Killenaule 48 Slievardagh Tipperary OSI Ref: S212 465
OS Sheet: 54
Discovery map: 67

Archival sources

  • Draft pedigrees of the family of Hemphill of Springhill, Co. Tipperary, c.1700 -- 1907. Genealogical Office: Ms.804, p.10 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of Samuel Hemphill, M. D., eldest son of Edward Hemphill, M. D., son of Rev. Samuel Hemphill, Minister of Fethard and to the grandson of the first mentioned Samuel, being the Rev. Samuel Hemphill, Rector of Birr, eldest son of Robert Hemphill, all of Springhill, Co. Tipperary, April 10, 1908. Genealogical Office: Ms.111, pp.205-6 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Marriage settlement, E. Hemphill, of Fethard, and F. Despard, May, 1779. Map of Burnchurch and Buffana, Co. Tipperary, property of R. Hemphill, early 19th c. and other papers relating to the Hemphill family. M. 5612 ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Copy of grant of arms to the Rt. Hon. Charles Hare Hemphill of Rathkenny, Co. Tipperary, on the grant to him of the dignity of a Baron, Jan. 4, 1906. Genealogical Office: Ms.111, pp.178-9 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Papers relating to the estates at Lisnamrock, Co. Tipperary of the Langley family, with references to the families of Hemphill, Levinge and Tuthill, 1778-1916. M.5621 (1-55) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Terry, 31 May 1872, Vol 106 (19), MRGS 39/049, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources