Originally from Lincolnshire, the Disneys were granted lands in counties Louth, Waterford and Westmeath in the 1660s. Major General Sir Moore Disney had a distinguished career in the Peninsular wars. After his death in 1848 his representatives were among the principal lessors in the parishes of Dysert, Mothel and Rathgormuck, barony of Upperthird, county Waterford, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Almost 3000 acres of this estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in February 1852.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
OSI Ref: S330215
OS Sheet: 2, 3
Discovery map: 75
|Churchtown House (Dysert)||Churchtown||Dysert||Carrick-on-Suir||Glen 7||Upperthird||Waterford||
OSI Ref: S342221
OS Sheet: 3
Discovery map: 75
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Disney, 20 February 1852, Vol 13, MRGS 39/006, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of late William Disney of Stebanon, Co. Louth and Churchtown, Co. Waterford and to his great grandson, Lt. General Sir Moore Disney, KCB., Aug. 31, 1815.Genealogical Office: Ms.106, p.86 ; National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Upperthird Barony: 16 (Ballyclohy & Churchtown)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''15th Annual Report of the Commissioners of Public Records Ireland,'' 1825. Vol XVI, Appendix I, Grants under Acts of Settlement: 63
Modern printed sources
- NOLAN, W, POWER, T.P. & COWMAN, D. (eds). ''Waterford: History and Society''. (Dublin: Geography Publications, 1992). : Morris, Henry F. The "principal inhabitants" of county Waterford in 1746. p.310-311.
- SMITH, Charles. ''The ancient and present state of the county and city of Waterford''. Third edition edited by Donald Brady. Wateford : Waterford County Council, 2008. : 75 (Churchtown)
- SMITH, Charles. ''The ancient and present state of the county and city of Waterford''. Third edition edited by Donald Brady. Wateford : Waterford County Council, 2008. : BRADY, Donald. Appendix III, houses mentioned by Smith. p 306.