Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Briscoe

Henry Briscoe born in 1753 was a Justice of the Peace for counties Tipperary, Kilkenny and Waterford. His grandson Henry Whitby Briscoe born 1809 was probably the first Briscoe to live at Tinvane. He married in 1835 Deborah daughter of the Reverend Robert Shaw and was succeeded by his grandson, also named Henry Whitby Briscoe, in 1881. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Briscoe held land in the parish of Lisronagh, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary and Robert Briscoe held land in the parishes of Knockmourne and Lismore/Mocollop, barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork. In November 1856 the estate of Henry Whitby Briscoe in counties Kilkenny, Waterford and Tipperary amounting to a total of 477 acres was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Henry Briscoe of Tinvane owned 127 acres in county Tipperary and his uncle Robert Briscoe of Fermoy owned 394 acres in county Cork.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Tinvane Tinvane Carrick Carrick on Suir Carrick on Suir Urban 30 Iffa and Offa East Tipperary OSI Ref: S417 228
OS Sheet: 85
Discovery map: 75
Milltown House Milltownbritton Baptistgrange Clonmel Kiltinan 79 Middlethird Tipperary OSI Ref: S241 291
OS Sheet: 77
Discovery map: 75