Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hudson (Glenville)

Dr Edward Hudson, born at Castlemartyr, county Cork, was an early dental practitioner, who bought an estate at Glenville, near Cork, in the late 18th century. This was his country home as he lived at The Hermitage, later known as St Enda's (the Pearse Museum), Rathfarnham, county Dublin. Dr Hudson married Frances Barton and their eldest son was Reverend Edward Gustavus Hudson (1791-1851), Dean of Armagh from 1841. Another son, William Elliott Hudson (1796-1853), was a collector of Irish music and ancient literature and some of his manuscripts are in the Royal Irish Academy. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Hudson estate was in the parishes of Ardnageehy and Dunbulloge, barony of Barrymore, county Cork. In the 1870s Henry Hudson of Glenville owned over 5,000 acres in county Cork. This estate came into the possession of the Kinahan family through the marriage of Charlotte, daughter of Edward Hudson of Rathfarnham and Robert Henry Kinahan of Dublin. Their son, Edward Hudson Kinahan (1828-1892) was created a baronet in 1887. The Hudsons who lived on the Ponsonby estate at Inchiquin near Youghal may have been relatives of this family.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Glenville Glenville Ardnageehy Cork Glenville 79 Barrymore Cork OSI Ref: W702 881
OS Sheet: 43
Discovery map: 80

Archival sources

  • O’Flynn Exham Solicitors' Collection contains some documents re the Hudsons of Glenville, 19th century. IE CCCA/U229; Cork City and County Archives
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey files, Parish of Watergrasshill; Cork County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources