Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dwyer (Kilcor)

Hajba writes that Francis Doyne Dwyer bought Kilcor Castle, county Cork, from Cornelius O'Brien in 1851 [possibly 1854]. Francis Dwyer of Kilcor and Henry Dwyer of Ballyquirk were sons of John Dwyer, secretary to John Fitzgibbon Earl of Clare and a major in the Austrian Imperial Army. In June 1852 the lands of Boher and Ballylea, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, the estate of Francis Dwyer, were advertised for sale. In the 1870s Henry Dwyer of Kilcor owned 1,388 acres in county Cork and John D. Dwyer of Ballyquirk owned 696 acres in county Tipperary. In July 1852 the estate of William Barry Dwyer at Slymanagh and Curraghanaltig, barony of Fermoy, was advertised for sale. http://www.oocities.com/layedwyer/ballyquirk.htm

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Kilcor Castle Kilcor North Castlelyons Fermoy Kilcor 136 Barrymore Cork OSI Ref: W865 909
OS Sheet: 45
Discovery map: 81
Ballyquirk Ballyquirk Lorrha Borrisokane Lorrha West 18 Lower Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: M911 019
OS Sheet: 4
Discovery map: 53

Archival sources

  • Photocopy of grant by Thomas Dwyer to William Dwyer of Ballyanihan, barony of Fermoy, & affecting marriage of William Dwyer & Elizabeth Carey, 31 Jan 1876. 999/790/1; National Archives of Ireland
  • Pyne Papers, 23 deeds mainly concerning lands in Co. Cork in which members of the Pyne family were parties, other parties include members of this family, 1783-1895. D 7194-7219; National Library of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Dwyer, 10 July 1852, Vol 17 (28), MRGS 39/008, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Dwyer, 15 June 1852, Vol 16, MRGS 39/007, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources