Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kirkwood (Bartragh Island)

Captain Charles Kirkwood of Bartragh Island, parish of Killala, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, held lands in a number of parishes in the Killala area at the time of Griffith's Valuation. On 25 March 1834 forty acres of the Abbey of Moyne, beside Bartragh Island, were leased to Charles K. Kirkwood by Thomas Jones for a term of 910 years. In 1876 the Captain owned 944 acres in county Mayo. The Landed Estates' Court rentals show that other members of the Kirkwood family held houses and property in the town and surrounds of Killala from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In January 1877 the Irish Times provided a detailed account of the purchasers of some of this property at a sale in the Landed Estates Court.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Bartragh House Bartragh Island Killala Killala Killala 100 Tirawley Mayo OSI Ref: G250287
OS Sheet: 22
Discovery map: 24

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Jones, 10 Dec 1867, Vol 87, MRGS 39/042 (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Photograph album of Lieutenant Colonel John Knox Kirkwood of Bartra House, Killala, Co Mayo, 1866-1886. SC1/2; Kerry Library, Local History & Archives Section

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources