Captain Charles Kirkwood of Bartragh Island, parish of Killala, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, held lands in a number of parishes in the Killala area at the time of Griffith's Valuation. On 25 March 1834 forty acres of the Abbey of Moyne, beside Bartragh Island, were leased to Charles K. Kirkwood by Thomas Jones for a term of 910 years. In 1876 the Captain owned 944 acres in county Mayo. The Landed Estates' Court rentals show that other members of the Kirkwood family held houses and property in the town and surrounds of Killala from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In January 1877 the Irish Times provided a detailed account of the purchasers of some of this property at a sale in the Landed Estates Court.
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Jones, 10 Dec 1867, Vol 87, MRGS 39/042 (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Photograph album of Lieutenant Colonel John Knox Kirkwood of Bartra House, Killala, Co Mayo, 1866-1886. SC1/2; Kerry Library, Local History & Archives Section
Contemporary printed sources
- M'PARLAN, James. ''Statistical survey of the county of Mayo''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1802: 101 (Knox)
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 62 (unoccupied)
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Mayo: Vol V, 17
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol II, 121
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Killala Union, 48
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 310
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 252
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 366
Modern printed sources
- ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court sale reports, 13 January 1877, p.6.