Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Teulon

The Teulons were a French family who came to Ireland in the 18th century and settled in county Cork. In the late 18th century John Teulon married Mary Wood and their eldest son John married married Catherine, daughter of George Beamish of Clohine. They had three sons, George Beamish, Charles Peter and Thomas. Griffith's Valuation records Peter Teulon holding land in the parish of Kilcrumper, barony of Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork. Documents in the National Archives record the purchase of part of the Hyde estate by Mr Teulon circa 1851. In the 1870s George Beamish Teulon of Bandon owned 2,714 acres in county Cork. This property passed to the Fleury family following the marriage of Anna Maria Teulon and Alfred Edward Fleury. http://www.paulturner.ca/Ireland/Cork/HOB/hob-21.htm

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Mary Ville Clashadunna West Youghal Youghal Youghal Rural 339 Imokilly Cork OSI Ref: X075 777
OS Sheet: 67
Discovery map: 81
Glenwood Glenwood Kilcrumper Fermoy Glanworth East 143 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: R811 032
OS Sheet: 27
Discovery map: 74

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Hyde, 5 Dec 1851, Vol 12 (21), MRGS 39/005, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Copy of grant of arms to Lt. Charles Alfred Fleury of Glenwood, Co. Cork, eldest son of Alfred Edward Fleury by Anna Maria Teulon on his assuming under Royal Licence and in compliance with the will of his uncle, George Beamish Teulon, the name and arms of Teulon, Nov. 1, 1905. GO Ms.111, pp.174-5 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey files, Parish of Kilworth; Cork County Library

Contemporary printed sources