Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Harding (Firville)

The Harding family were associated with the city of Cork from the early 18th century. Henry Harding was Mayor of the city when he died in 1790. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the estate of Henry Harding was in the parishes of Clondrohid and Macroom, barony of West Muskerry, Aghabulloge, barony of East Muskerry and Kilbrin, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. James and John Harding also held land in the parishes of Aghabulloge, Athnowen and Kilnaglory, barony of East Muskerry, while the representatives of Philip Harding held land in the parish of Kilmichael, barony of West Muskerry. In the 1870s the representatives of Henry Harding of Firville owned 4,161 acres in county Cork, while the representatives of James Harding of Myrtle Hill, Cork owned 1,963 acres and John Harding of Alexandra Terrace, Cork, owned 1,116 acres.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Firville Bealick Macloneigh Macroom Macloneigh 226 West Muskerry Cork OSI Ref: W353 730
OS Sheet: 71
Discovery map: 79
Myrtle Hill Ballyduhig South Carrigaline Cork Ballygarvan 68 Kerrycurrihy Cork OSI Ref: W684638
OS Sheet: 86
Discovery map: 87
Rosemount Currahaly Aglish Macroom Aghlish 209 East Muskerry Cork OSI Ref: W488 688
OS Sheet: 84
Discovery map: 86

Archival sources

  • Will of Philip Harding of Firville, 8 Mar 1840. 999/575/188; National Archives, UK
  • S. Gordon & Son, solicitor's collection, include deed re land in barony of East Carbery, Benjamin Crofts of city of Cork to Hugh Harding, Feb 1668. Small Accs. Index 103, D.18,328; National Archives of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey, Parish of Macroom; Cork County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources