Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Collins (Gurteenard)

John Collins a "49 Officer" was granted lands in county Limerick in 1666 under a patent to the Earls of Roscommon and Orrery. He was succeeded by John Collins of Ballynoe, county Limerick and later of Rathcoole, county Cork. By the end of the 18th century the Collins were residing at Gurteenard. In the 19th century a member of the family Sir Richard Henn Collins was Master of the Rolls. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Collins held land in the parishes of Castlemagner and Cullen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork while the representatives of Stephen Collins held land in the baronies of West and East Muskerry. In the 1870s the representatives of John S. Collins owned 2849 acres in county Cork.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Gurteenard Gurteenard Clonmeen Kanturk Castlemagner 162 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: R387 017
OS Sheet: 23
Discovery map: 72

Archival sources

  • Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of John Collins of Gurteenard, Co. Cork and to his grandson, John Stephen Collins of Ardnalee, Co. Cork, eldest son of Stephen Collins of Merrion Square, Dublin June 3, 1891. GO Ms. 110, pp. 135-6 ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources