Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Townsend (Garrycloyne Castle)

This branch of the Townsend family are descended from Richard Townsend of Pallastown, county Cork, fourth son of the Reverend Horatio Townsend and his wife Mary Hungerford. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Samuel Townsend held an estate mainly in the parish of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow, county Cork but also in the parish of Knocktemple (Duhallow), Garrycloyne (Barretts) and in the parishes of Aglish and Donaghmore, (East Muskerry). This would appear to be Samuel Townsend of Garrycloyne Castle, Blarney, who married his cousin Frances Helena Newman in 1836. Their eldest grandson emigrated to Australia in the early 20th century. Samuel's first cousin the Reverend Philip Townsend resided at Fern Hill, parish of Kilshannig. In the 1870s Samuel's son Richard Townsend of Garrycloyne owned 3,932 acres in county Cork

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Fern Hill Drommahane Kilshannig Mallow Kilshannig 248 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: W525 955
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 80
Garrycloyne Garrycloyne Garrycloyne Cork Greenfort 73 Barretts Cork OSI Ref: W593 803
OS Sheet: 62
Discovery map: 80
Coolmona Glebe House Coolmona Donaghmore Macroom Gowlane Muskerry East Cork OSI Ref: 508827
OS Sheet: 50
Discovery map:

Archival sources

  • Land Judges’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Corrie, 10 June 1881, Vol 141 (38), MRGS 39/062, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources