Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bolster

In the 19th century the Bolsters held land in the parish of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, mainly from the Newman and Lombard estates. Beside Aldworth and Lombardstown, Bolster family members resided at Curraghbower and Dromaneen, both in the parish of Kilshannig. In March 1873 lands (545 acres) at Clonribbon, barony of Duhallow, belonging to William Crofts Bolster and Eliza Bolster, were advertised for sale. These lands were held under a fee farm grant from George Washington Brasier Creagh to Richard Bolster, dated 1867. Colonel Grove White's notes on Curraghbower include a genealogy of the Bolster family compiled by a family member.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Aldworth Aldworth Kilshannig Mallow Kilshannig 248 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: W502 937
OS Sheet: 41
Discovery map: 80
Lombardstown House Lombardstown Kilshannig Mallow Kilshannig 248 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: W470 965
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 80
Egmont House Egmont Churchtown Mallow Churchtown 238 Orrery and Kilmore Cork OSI Ref: R491 128
OS Sheet: 16
Discovery map: 73

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Bolster, 4 Mar 1873, Vol 109 (23), MRGS 39/050, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of Richard Bolster of Aldworth and to his grandson, Thomas Bolster of Springville, second son of George Bolster of Curra Bower, all in Co. Cork May 1, 1901. GO MS 111, pp.98-9 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Pedigree of Bolster family of county Cork (Leader Collection); Irish Genealogical Research Society Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources